In an exciting new project for this year, we’re inviting designers, architects and creators all over the world to imagine a sustainable pavilion that will house an on-site exhibition to showcase our journey and visions.
Teaming up with an international jury of design experts, we’ve launched an open call for creative minds to design a new pavilion for Wonderfruit 2019. We’re looking for ideas that:
- Embody the Wonderfruit ethos, acting as a striking beacon for its powerful brand and supporting and communicating its ethical values.
- Are waterproof, sustainable, lightweight, intelligent and evolved.
- Utilise local materials such as grass, bamboo, timber, mud etc. or other innovative sustainable materials.
- Are 120sqm.
- Celebrate craft and engineering practices, employing them to create a world-class but locally relevant final design.
- Are built to last for at least 5 years, with zero negative environmental impact and a sustainable after-life whether upcycled, reused or disintegrated via gradual, organic decomposition or through a more dramatic ritual dissolution.
- Consider the structure’s evolution over time and its adaptation to changing environmental conditions in a tropical location.
- Are radical and functional, curious and surprising, while considering modularity, flexibility, expandability, longevity, lightness vs. solidity, etc.
- Can be built in one month.
We’ve asked design individuals or teams to submit their initial ideas as a digital A6-size postcard.
From the postcards received, Ab Rogers Design Studio (designer of several projects in Wonderfruit 2018 and 2019) will select the 20 best designs. From there, an international jury of design experts (including Ab Rogers, Deyan Sudjic, Farshid Moussavi, Aric Chen, El Ultimo Grito, Lorenzo Alvarez, Brooke Hodge, Rachaporn Choochuey, Dr. Singh Intrachooto, and Boonserm Premthada) will whittle the responses down to the best six. The final six shortlisted designers will have the chance to develop their design further and after the jury has reviewed these developed designs, the winner will be selected and announced. Two members of the winning team will be flown to Thailand to spend a month on site at Wonderfruit, where they’ll work with the team to realize their pavilion and stay to see it in action when the festival goes live from 12 to 16 December 2019.
Stay tuned right here for updates on this exciting competition as it unfolds. Right now, the entry deadline has passed and Ab Rogers’ team are enthusiastically sorting through the many submissions we received to choose the 20 shortlisted designers. Watch this space.